Visitors

Thursday, July 15, 2010

No Fun

In a previous post I wrote something about how there are times when having fun isn't always the better option. That got me thinking that there are things that are simply not fun at all. At least I can't turn them into something fun no matter how hard I try. I know for a lot of people that's being stuck in traffic, which is something I've mastered. But for me the following situations are highly challenging to my fun levels:

1. Getting my hair cut. I know that sounds strange. Most people (especially women) relish getting their look updated. But I almost always leave a salon wondering if I'm actually that ugly in real life. I don't know if it's the lighting. Or the mirrors. I was telling a friend about this the other day and she was hysterically laughing at me like I was a comedian. But people I am not joking. Somehow the stylists manage to look good under the same conditions. I actually have to go home and stare at myself in a mirror that makes me look good in order to convince myself that I am indeed a beautiful woman. This explains why I only get a couple haircuts a year.

2. The dentist. Painful. And they're usually mean or at the very least highly unsocial. Not much else I have to say about that. Still better than a haircut.

3. Giving bad news. I suck at it. I'm also not highly skilled in confrontations but am working on speaking up for myself so maybe I'll be having fun with it soon.

4. Breaking up. That goes with the above. Luckily I haven't had to be a part of that in a long time (ending things after a few dates does not count) and hopefully never again. Ugh!

5. Funerals. That's probably a big duh but I needed something else for my list since it isn't as long as I anticipated it being. I s'pose that's good, though since that means I'm having fun doing most other things.



What are some situations that challenge your fun?

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from glamour. I thought I was the only one that looked hideous at the hair salon!! Usually I think I look pretty damn good when I check myself out in the mirror, but something about the salon brings out every blemish, splotch and undereye circle. So I leave feeling great about my hair but thinking my face and body are not so hot. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading! Glad to know I'm not alone in this. My friends constantly make fun of me for my fear of the salon. We might need to start a support group. :)

    ReplyDelete