Visitors

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fun Buster: Money

I'm starting a new post called the Fun Buster because there are certain things that try really hard to ruin my good time. One of those things is money. I've never had a good relationship with that stuff. I grew up extremely poor and my parents' stress and negative attitude toward it definitely became entrenched in my mind so that I'm now 29, have a Masters degree and am barely making ends meet on my starter non-profit job salary. I know that it's a direct result of my attitude toward money so I'm working at changing that so I can increase the amount of dough in my life and as a result fun! How I'm doing it:

1. Listening to the Money series from the Change Your Mind website.
2. Quitting the job I took only because I needed the money. I've realized I need to let go of my need for something for it to appear. As well, that job's been a hindrance to me in so many ways simply clearing that out should work wonders.
3. Saying no. As I said earlier this week I'm starting to say no more to social obligations I don't really want to do. That will now include those that cost more than I can currently afford.
4. Saying yes. I've had a lot of incidents lately I've had to pay for (car problems, a stolen bike that wasn't even mine but I was using) that I suspect wouldn't have happened had I spent less money preventing them in the beginning.
5. Doing fun things that are free. Parks. Some museums. The beach. Taking advantage of my natural resources will help three-fold too in that they'll provide the calmness and open mind I need to receive the monetary abundance that is mine.



Do you have money troubles? If so, how does it affect your ability to have fun? How do you cope?

2 comments:

  1. I make enough to make ends meet and also have about a grand in savings, but I can't help but worry about my future with this dead end job. You understand that! The pay is measly and the benefits are almost non existent. Even at 25 I can't help but think about my retirement. I have no idea how I got so obsessed with saving because my parents didn't talk much about it. I still have fun, but I'm slightly miserly :) I read Suze Orman's "Young, Broke and Fabulous a few years ago and found it very helpful. It helps make budgeting more manageable.

    My fiance makes almost 3 times what I do so we're very comfortable, but I can't help thinking where would I be without his help? It makes me feel kind of pathetic sometimes. He also hates his job and is strongly considering quitting at the end of the year so that would be a big lifestyle change. We've talked about both quitting and traveling abroad for a couple months. Life is short after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out that book. Thanks for the tip! Deep down I know I'll be fine but it's just breaking through that initial barrier that's taking some effort. :) And as far as quitting jobs and traveling I say carpe diem. Life's too short to be miserable in something you do at least 40 hours a week no matter how much they pay you for it. Maybe they'd let him take a kind of sabbatical if up and quitting is too scary?

    ReplyDelete