Visitors

Friday, July 23, 2010

Running

I run. Which is an activity many people don't find fun. Myself included. Sometimes. I know that sounds contradictory. And it is. But there are times when running is exactly what I need and few other physical activities can replace it. Surfing and soccer are usually at the top of my list but sometimes with surfing the getting to a clean beach takes more effort than I have and with soccer sometimes I just don't feel like being social (Hard to believe I know!). So for those kinds of days throwing on my running shoes and simply stepping outside my apartment feels amazing. For awhile I was potentially addicted to running marathons. My first year in California I ran three. There was something about losing myself for hours in monotenous exercise that I needed and actually enjoyed. I say actually because as I'm preparing myself to run the San Francisco Marathon this coming Sunday I can't say I've felt that too many times in the last few months. But when it happens it's this meditative state that leaves me refreshed and ready to conquer all. And that is what I love most about running. The other things I love about it:

1. Keeps me skinny. Hey, I'm not above the superficialness of exercise even if I do it for more than that.
2. Great way to enjoy the scenery. It's amazing what you pick up on when running compared to driving/riding in a car.
3. You're automatically in the club. There's something about runners (more than any other sport I've participated in) that leads them as a collective to talk to anyone else running anywhere anytime.
4. The admiration. This is more of a joke but I've noticed that people are more impressed when you run longer distances than with anything else.
5. Food. You can eat whatever you want but it also motivates you to crave the healthy stuff (Guess that's true about any physical activity but I needed a fifth reason.).



Do you love or hate to run and why? What other physical activities pump you up?

2 comments:

  1. This is what I think about running:


    http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=63436656527


    "I play real sports, not trying to be the best at exercising."

    How was the SF Marathon? Did you and Nathan finish together or did he burn you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha you ultra exerciser you! We finished at the exact same time even though we somehow managed a maniac sprint at the end to try to beat the other. :p I believe it was my worst time, though. 'Course Nathan pointed out I've never ran so many hills so that probably helped. But it was an extremely scenic course. I'd highly recommend it if you haven't already ran that one.

    ReplyDelete