Visitors

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I'm Not the Only One

Sometimes when you get into a routine and it seems as though everyone around you is caught up in a similar routine and no one's winning an Olympic medal for it, you forget that you aren't the only who has a different vision of what the world can be. I was reminded of my fun mission today when I saw the following video:



Kevin Richardson's idea is akin to an idea I've had about law enforcement and how ineffective it is. We have a million police officers whom everyone is afraid of and yet I'd dare to guess pretty much everyone breaks the law in some tiny or humungous way on at least a monthly basis. Obviously something isn't working. Why not borrow from the little elementary school classroom management behavioral technique of ignoring bad behavior and rewarding good behavior? Now I'm not saying we turn a blind eye to violent criminals but as Kevin demonstrated in his video people are more likely to behave in a societally accepted manner when there's something in it for them. My idea was passing out ice cream coupons to people obeying laws but I like Kevin's too!

And another thing I really liked about this video is its association with thefuntheory.com, which is "dedicated to the thought that something as simple as fun is the easiest way to change people’s behaviour for the better. Be it for yourself, for the environment, or for something entirely different, the only thing that matters is that it’s change for the better." I agree completely and it was just the inspiration I needed to know that I'm on the right track and the world can be improved through fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment