Visitors

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fun Buster:


I'll recognize that there is some potential for fun in this. For instance if you didn't have to go into your office and could work from home in your pjs, knock it out in a matter of a couple hours and then head off to the beach for the rest of the day. I would consider that to be fun from time to time (or all the time). But unfortunately it seems to less that and more the gateway drug to Workaholics Anonymous (from here on out WHA). Now, unless you don't have a computer at home there is no excuse not to answer emails right away or work on projects that would otherwise never leave the office.

To be honest the first time I had Go To My PC on the job I was completely freaked out by it. I couldn't get over how I could literally turn my at home laptop into my at work desktop and there was no discernible difference (other than speed). It took me awhile to work up the courage to actually use it. And even then I did so rarely. As might be apparent by this blog I'm not a workaholic and am in staunch refusal to participate in such shenanigans. From my experience, workaholics stress themselves out to the point of future heart attacks while accomplishing less than their Type B counterparts (And here is one research study-amongst others-to back it up.). I did use it from time to time but was really turned off when I'd get into work the next day and find emails from co-workers the next morning sent off at 3 in the morning. No wonder they were crabby most of the time!

And so I am now against anything that encourages workaholics to compromise their physical health and mental and emotional sanity for the sake of subpar productivity, especially when they then try to force that crap down the rest of our throats. We won't even get into iphones.

No comments:

Post a Comment