Visitors

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Made Up Word Scrabble

I love games! Which should come as no surprise to ya'll. That'd pretty much be blasphemous (I really wanted to use the word blasphemic but thanks to online dictionaries, alas it is not a real word.). Board games. Sports games. Word games. Pretty much the only games I don't like to play are mind games. And I don't stop at games other people have made up, marketed, and made a shite ton of money off of (or not; I don't know what board game makers are getting these days). Oh no! I make up my own games. Typically with the help of others. This began in my youth with my siblings, making our own board games. And while I don't do that as often now as I did back then, there are still moments such as when-with a little help from my friends-(or a lot of help since I can't actually remember where the idea originated)we created Made Up Word Scrabble. This resulted from the boredom of trying to play the standard version of Scrabble insanely late at night (or early in the morning depending on how you like to look at it), possibly with a few drinks (not of the fruit juice kind) consumed.

How you play:

- Begin like standard Scrabble with each person drawing 7 tiles and taking turns spelling words

Here's where it gets real crazy:

- Arrange your letters in any way that you see fit to make up your own made up words.
- Then, create a definition for that made up word. The more ridiculous the better.

And that's it. I'm not sure if we assigned point values or threw that out the window. But our "dictionary" of made up words is still in the box and added to each time we play the newest version of our old favorite. Yes, this is a game that has lived on beyond that night/morning (even when drinking only fruit juice). We've even had emphatic requests by other friends who weren't present for it to play.

Does this sound like something fun to you? Have you ever made up your own game? If so, what was it? I hope you have fun recreating our Made Up Word Scrabble or your own game in the very near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment